Comparison shopping for home security devices or really, for anything, is no longer a good idea but a necessity. When it comes to home automation products and particularly home security products, the most essential requirement is that they actually work as they say they are going to. And you don’t just want something that works; you want something that works in the way you need it to work. You may find a motion sensor security camera that turns on as it should when motion is detected, but the image quality is so poor that you can’t tell if it’s a person or a possum that triggered it. Before choosing home security devices, do a little comparison shopping to find out just who has the best deals and prices on what you’re looking for in a home security system.
Home Security Devices to Definitely Look For
- Smartphone or Cell Phone Connection – Having a connection from your cell phone to your system or system provider and monitoring service makes a huge difference. This is where home automation becomes both secure AND convenient for the homeowner. Almost everyone has their cell phone near them always, which means that you can just pull it out if there’s a problem at home or if you need to access or monitor your home security system remotely. So look for a system that has a compatible system for your cellular device.
- Sensors – All kinds of sensors are critical for a good home security system, so there’s a lot to look for. Remember important things like motion sensor capability for video cameras or security lights, glass break sensors for the windows, door sensors for when doors are opened, flood sensors or water sensors for flooding, heat sensors or smoke detectors for fire disasters, and garage door sensors so you can know when your garage door has been opened. There are many different varieties of each of these home security devices, so make sure to research them carefully.
- Video Surveillance – Video cameras are excellent home security devices to have. There are many different makes and models, so compare the quality of video to night vision capability to DVR space when looking at which one to purchase.
- Security Lighting – An essential part of home security, security lighting is something to definitely comparison shop about. You’ll find all kinds of products and types of security lighting, and the best tip for you is that less is more. Good security lights are great in numbers but low to moderate in brightness – which shouldn’t be too difficult to find in good quality and quantity, because they’re usually not that expensive.
- Carbon Monoxide Detector – This may not be a necessity if you live in a newer home, but still, it’s a good thing to have in your home for safety and security. Carbon monoxide, which is undetectable by humans, can actually kill you; a detector can warn you so that you can get out and have professional technicians come take care of the problem. So while you may not think you need a carbon monoxide detector, it could prove to be an added bonus from the company that you choose to buy home security devices from.
Additional Home Security Devices That Could Be a Good Bonus
There are plenty of additional home security devices that you could look into acquiring, and some of those are described here.
- Two-Way Intercom – This device allows you to converse as necessary with your monitoring service (the company that manages your security system) in a much more classy way than with walkie talkies.
- Equipment Warranties – Some people care about warranties for home security devices while others do not. But of course, any home security company that offers a lifetime warranty or limited time warranty is probably more reliable than one that requires you to pay for the warranty, because that company will come to your rescue if problems occur with your home security equipment.
- Personal Security Devices – These don’t apply to everyone, but sometimes the elderly or people with special needs benefit from having personal security devices nearby or on their persons. Consider the effectiveness of such devices and whether or not you might need them, and always, always comparison shop home security devices.
There is always more to comparison shop about, but these are some of the important home security devices to consider. And since what may work for one won’t necessarily work for another, don’t always take another person’s review as the gospel truth. Do the investigating yourself and you’ll probably be quite pleased with the results of your findings and the home security products that you purchase.